Tuesday, September 18, 2012

My Boxee Box (Media Set Top Box)


Hey everyone. I talk to my friends alot about my movie collection and seeing as I had a lot i started to look for new ways to manage my collection. It started with DVD's and amassed a nice collection, then came Blurays and then i started collecting those. As you can imagine it started to take up space, so being the tech person (nerd) that i am i started to search the web for a way to house my collection digitally. I started off with a Western Digital (WD) media box to play files on my tv, it was ok and played back nearly everything that i threw at it but it had a very plain UI (user interface) all it had was a last of the files on my hard drive.

So my search continued until i found the Boxee Box, it had all that i needed 2 USB ports, HDMI out for my HD TV, a slew of great apps including Netflix and VUDU and not to mention a great UI experience. It breaks my Movies and TV Shows into differnet catigories not to mention it goes online and searches for all the Meta Data for my shows and Movies and displays it nicely with Movie cover and description and for some of the newer movies it will even have Trailers.

So now when i have friends come over i love showing off my movie collection which sits on 3 external hard drives 2 - 2TB drives to house my movies currently at around 620 movies most of which is in 1080p quality and another 1TB drive that house my TV Shows Collection including all seasons of Smallville and Charmed if you want to stop by and Catch up :-)

And like i said it has a bunch of app that you can use

Netflix and you can add reposotories to add even more channels. With this box I can truly cut the cable line and solely use Boxee Box and still catch all my shows and movies while only needing an internet connection (wired or wireless by the way)And they recently relased an adapter called Boxee Live TV which plugs into one of the USB ports and you can have Live tv. So there thats my setup and I am loving it watch any of my movies or TV shows with out having to go through DVD cases and such.

If you have any questions or need help setting up your collection drop me a line I would love to help. until next time

No comments:

Post a Comment